Importance of Docker and Kubernetes for Career
Understand Running Applications on Servers
- Consider this as your application architecture
- We procure physical servers with decent configuration and install necessary infrastructure to run our application
- Your application is using the hardware to run and utilization is low
- Costs involved are
- For purchasing the servers before we deploy our application (Capex)
- For maintaining the server during application is in use (opex)
- There are most likely chances that you under use your hardware
- Hypervisors came into existence.
- Hypervisors are the softwares installed on the physical machines which help you in creating virtual machines
- Examples: VmWare, Hyper-V, KVM, Virtual Box etc.
- VMWare became very populare which allows to create multiple vms on the same physical server. (Server Virtualization)
Generation 3: Docker
- Linux had a concept of containers from day 1, but it was difficult to create and very few organizations like google were using them.
- Docker made is simple to create containers
- Consider container as an isolated area with cpu, ram and network which makes application belive that it running on full blown os.
- Since containers are light weight we can run many instances on the server