- Create an EC2 instance with 10 GiB of EBS volume (Any Linux) (10 mins)
- Backup of Volume.
- From Backup create a new Volume (in same/different region)
Creating Snapshot of Volume
- Creating a Snapshot of the Volume
- AWS CLI to create a backup and then run this script periodically.
- Scheduled Backups
Creating Volume from Snapshot
- Creates the volume from snapshot in the same region (where snapshot exists).
- User can select the AZ.
Creating Volumes in Different Regions from Existing Snapshots
- Copy the snapshot to your desired Region
- Using the copied snapshot create Volume
How Snapshot Creation Works
- First snapshot of the volume is Full disk back up.
- All the snapshots after first will be incremental backups.
How about Snapshot deletions
Scenario: you have two snapshots as shown below
If any other snapshot is depending on the current snapshot to be deleted, then contents of the current snapshot will be copied to snapshots depending on it
If there are no depending snapshots on current snapshot , then the Snapshot is deleted. (so the change will be lost)
Deleting Snapshot A:
Deleting Snapshot B:
Deleting the Latest snapshots might lead to data loss, but older snapshots will not lead to data loss.