- Repository is a Data storage solution where the history is maintained.
- Generally for this versioning is used and along with every version some meta data like reason for change is also maintained.
- Generally Repositories also have the option to view differences between versions.
- W.R.T CI/CD Pipelines we have two major repositories
- Source Code Repository
- Package Repository
Version Control System (VCS)
- VCS is used to store generally code (any files)
- We would require
- Repository features
- Multiple releases parallely
Evolution of VCS
- Single User VCS => VSS
- Multi User VCS => Subversion (SVN)
- Distributed VCS => Bitkeeper, Git
Architectures of Version Control System
- Centralized Version Control Systems
- Distributed Version Control Systems