Importance of Virtual/Software defined Networks
- When we use cloud to access the applications we need to figure out how to use virtual networks for that we need to have some basics of networking
- Ip address is used to uniquely identify a device on the network.
- Let me find the ip of my laptop. On windows
- Networking principle:
- A device can connect directly to other device in the same network.
- Whenever network packets need to travel to the different network they use router.
- Default Gateway in the ipconfig is the ip address for the router
- Lets understand IPv4 =>
x.x.x.xwhere each x is an octet i.e. it has 8 bits. The range of ip address is from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
- Ip address is combination of network id and host id
ip => network id + host id
- Find the network id and host id
ip: 192.168.0.10 sm: 255.255.0.0 octets with 255: 192.168 => network id octets with 0: 0.10 => host id host id => 2 octets => 16 bits => 2^16 - 2 = 65536-2 => 65534 if the host id has all zero's => network id if the host id has all one's => broadcast id
- Example 2
ip: 10.11.12.13 sm: 255.255.255.0 nid: 10.11.12 hid: 13 size => 2^8-2 => 254
- I want to create a network to connect 60000 devices
2^n ~= 60000 n = 16 => 2 octets sm => 255.255.0.0