- Hypervisor: Hypervisor is a software used to create virtual machines, It will have capabilities to create Virtual Network, Virtual Storage. There are two types of hypervisors
- Which run on existing Operating System. Examples (VmWare Workstation, Hyper-V, Virtual Box )
- Which act as Operating System and Create Virtual Machines (VMware Exsi/ VmWare VSphere )
- The above activity is also referred as Server Virtualization.
- Service: What Cloud Offers
- Resource: What we create using Service. We will be charged for this.
- Pilot: When we explore the possibilities of any thing also referred as Proof of Concept (POC).
What Can we Migrate?
- Hypervisors: Azure Supports Migrations from
- VmWare with VSphere to Azure VM
- Hyper V to Azure VM
- Physical Servers:
- Windows Servers to Azure VM
- Supported Linux Kernels and Distributions to Azure VM.
- Other Clouds:
- Database Migrations are supported for the following databases
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Database Migrations from other clouds
- Migrating directly from source by taking downtime
- Creating a replica of the source on-premise and migrating incrementally
6 R’s of Migration
- ReHosting: Lift and Shift: Migrate what ever is running/chosen exactly the same way as it used work onpremises on cloud.
- Replatforming: Lift, tinker, shift: Make smaller changes in the existing applications which might include changing platform.
- Refactoring: Rewirte/Re-architecture your application to suit to modern cloud computing options