- Hypervisor: This is a software used to create virtual machines. There are two types of Hypervisors
- Which will be installed on Operating System and it will help in creating Virtual Machines. (Virtual Box, Hyper V, VmWare Workstation)
- Will act as operating system and helps in creating virtual machines (VmWare Esxi)
- This act of creating virtual machines is also referred as Server Virtualization.
- Hypervisors need to also manage Virtual Networks (SDN), Virtual Storage Devices.
- Organizations use a Control Server/Console to manage hypervisors (VmWare VSphere)
- Pilot/POC (Proof of Concept): This is a trail/experiment to explore something new
- Migration Approaches:
- Take Downtime, Perform migration (Non crtical) => One-Shot/time migration
- Incremental migration from the replica to Cloud => Incremental migrations.
What are the Possible Migrations Supported by AWS?
Operating Systems (Physical/Virtual Machines)
- VmWare VSphere/Esxi
- Hyper V
- Physical Server to AWS Image
- Microsoft SQL Server
- mysql/maria db
- Mongo DB
6 R’s of Migration
- ReHosting (Lift and Shift)
- RePlatforming (Lift, tinker and Shift)
Are there any pre-req’s for migration of VM/Physical Server
- Linux: There are supported distributions and linux kernel versions
- Windows: There are supported Windows Server versions
Can someone else do the migration for our organization?
- We have two options
- AWS Partners
- Third Party Softwares for migrations