- In Git HEAD is a pointer which refers to what should be shown on the working tree and ideally HEAD should be pointing towards a branch or a tag.
- Now lets create a branch for tata group
- Now lets move the HEAD (move to rel_tata_v1.0) branch
- Now lets add a change in rel_tata_v1.0 branch
- Now lets move to the master branch
- Now lets create one more branch for wipro group
- If the HEAD is pointing towards a commit rather than a branch or a tag this state is referred as DETACHED_HEAD.
- When you are in a detached head, you are expected only to view the files not make any changes
- To recover from detached head state, just use the checkout command and give any branch or tag name
How Git Works (Local Repository)
- Git is a content tracker
- In Git branch points to a commit id.
- COMMIT ID in GIT is an SHA1 Hash
- note: please go through the recording to understand the concept of hashing
- Two different contents cannot have the same hash
- Git commit is the SHA1 hash of
- changes done in that specific commit.
- To be continued in the next session.