Experiment: Create an Ec2 instance (ubuntu/amazon linux) and observe the volumes created.
- When we create an ec2 instance one volume is attached at minimum (root volume)
- Back up of the volume is snapshot
From Snapshot what can we do ?
- Create a EBS Volume from snapshot in any AZ and also we can make this snapshot to be copied to other region.
- Snapshot can be copied to any region
- Snapshot can be used to create an EBS volume in any AZ of the same region
Create a snapshot and copy the snapshot into other region
Create a snapshot and create a volume in other AZ
- Snapshot is backup of Volume
- First snapshot of the volume is generally a full backup
- Second Snapshot will be incremental backup and it will have depenedency of first snapshot
Case-1: Latest snapshot is deleted
- Latest snapshot delete might delete the data present in the latest snapshot, but older ones are intact
Case-2: Older snapshot is deleted
- Data from the older snapshot will be copied into the snaphsot depending on it
Storage Size Measurement
- In AWS Storage size is measure in GiB (Gibi Bytes) Refer Here