Disk Storage in AWS
- Disk Storage for EC2 instances is provided by AWS using
- Elastic Block Storage
- Instance Store
- Disks are categorized as
- Root Disk: Disk with Operating System
- Free Tier Plan
- 30 GB of General Purpose Disk is free per month
- Root Disk is always EBS
- EC2 instance Type will provide whether instance store can be attached or not.
- Two kinds of Disks Depending on Data Persistence are
- Ephemeral Disks: Instance Store
- Non Ephemeral: EBS
Creating a EC2 instance with Hard disk (Volume)
- Launch an Ec2 Instance by selecting AMI and click next till you see storage section
- Number of Disks can be added
- Size of Disk can be changed
- An option to choose not to delete the Volume after EC2 machine is terminated.
Adding Volumes to Existing EC2 machines
- Create a Volume in the same AZ as your EC2 instance.
- Attach the volume to EC2 machine
Increase the Size of Volume while EC2 Instance is Running
- EBS Volumes are Elastic Volumes because they support change in disk size while the machine is running.
1 GiB = 1024
Volume Types in EBS
- General Purpose SSD
- Provisioned IOPS
- Cold HDD
- Throughput Optimized HDD