How AWS Backup Service Works
- In AWS All the five services EBS, EFS, RDS, Dynamodb, Storage Gateway have their own mechanism for taking backups populary known as snapshots
- AWS Backup service internally creates the same.
- Eventhough the approach looks same, Backup Service has Backup policy which makes it usable.
What is Backup Policy
- What has to backed up is already decided by AWS Backup Service
- Backup policy allows you to choose
- When to take backup
- How many days you want to hold backups (retention)
- Lifecycle of Backup can be created
Who takes the Backup in the case AWS Backup Services
- AWS Backup Service takes the backup
- So you need to give permissions.
- Permissions to AWS Service is called as IAM Role
Where are these Backup stored?
- Backups are store in Vault
What can be done with Backups
- Create an IAM role for AWS Backup Service with necessary permissions
- Create a vault
- Create a backup plan
- Select Timings
- Select resources which you want to be backed up
- Wait for Restore Points to be created.
- In the cases of failure restore from restore points.