Problem with Backends
- If we use the backends using same template for managing different environmets will be tricky.
- When user 1 tries update Dev it should not stop user 2 to update QA environments
- The basic idea is to use the same template across environments
- Terraform has workspaces
- Refer Here for workspaces docs and Refer Here for terraform workspaces cli
- Terraform by default assumes the current workspace is default
- Lets create a workspace called as dev by user 1
- Refer Here for changes done
- Now lets create dev environment and apply the changes from user1 and created the qa environment and apply the changes from user 2.
- Terraform will allow both the users to create in parallel.
- Used conditional expression for creating a bastion subnet in qa Refer Here for changes and Refer Here for conditional expressions in terraform
- Terraform allows multiple environments from one template with workspaces
- Refer Here for the change which used count to create three files
- Now lets make a small change Refer Here where the second item from list is removed
- now apply to see the plan
- Terraform is deleting test2.txt and test3.txt also and then creates test3.txt again to maintain state
- To solve this problem we can use for_each Refer Here
- Exercise: Try solving the above problem with for_each
Interpolation in terraform
- Interpolation can be acheived by using format function or