Elastic Block Storage
- This is the storage service which provides virtual disks to virtual machines (ec2 instances) in AWS.
- Scope of EBS is Availability Zone. EBS can be mounted to an EC2 instance running in same AZ.
- EC2 instance and EBS will be alloacated in the same AZ but on different physical servers. Even after ec2 instance is deleted we can still have virtual disk (EBS Volume)
- When we shutdown ec2
- There are no charges for ec2
- charges continue for ebs
- The virtual disk is called as EBS volume and the backup of EBS volume is called as EBS snapshot.
- EBS volume has a lifetime independent of ec2 instance as it is alloacted from a different physical server.
- In AWS it is mandatory that the os disks has to be EBS volume
- EC2 instance will be charged based on number of running hours
- EBS is charged as long as disk is present in AWS
EC2 instance can be mounted with multiple volumes (Empty Volumes)
- while creation => AWS will create filesystems
- Post creation of EC2 => We need to create filesystem
- The other volume in AWS is Instance store volume.
- Instance store volume cannot be used as root/os disk. Instance store volume is created from same physical server where your ec2 instance gets created. When you stop the ec2 data is lost.
- Not all instance types support instance store
EBS volume Types: EBS volume types are categorized by Disk types
- General Purpose
- Provisioned IOPS
- Throughput Optmized