AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) contd..
Quick look at virtual machines
Basic VM needs
In AWS we have Regions, infrastructure is in zones (AZ)
- So we need to create our EC2 instance (VM) in the AZ
- In AWS
- to create an ec2 instance in a particular AZ we choose subnet
- to choose a particular operating system we choose Amazon Machine Image (AMI)
Exercise: Lets try to create a RedHat Linux based EC2 instance in us-west-2a (AZ) with hard disk size of 12 GB, 1 VCPU and 1 GB of RAM
To login into VM we need credentials i.e. username and password.
In AWS default username is chosen based on AMI and AWS by default doesn’t allow passwords, so we need to use key based authentication
- We need to create a key pair.
Once the EC2 instance is launched
Virtual Hard disk is called as EBS (Elastic Block Store) Volume in AWS
Virtual Machine is referred as EC2 instance
In AWS virtual network is referred as Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) and default VPC is created in every region by AWS.
In AWS to create an ec2 instance, we need to provide
- size of the ec2 instance (number of VCPU and size of RAM)
- AZ in which you need to create ec2 (Subnet)
- Public IP should be enabled or not
- Size of the EBS Volume
- Security Group
- Key Pair to log in to the VM
- Create a Windows 2016 server with 1 GB of RAM and 1 VCPU in any AZ of region Oregon.