Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service)
- AWS S3 provides unlimited storage.
- In AWS S3 we can store any file type. Only restriction is individual file size cannot be greater than 5 TB.
- AWS S3 was one of the first services offered by Amazon (2006)
- Lets look at one product line introduced during this time frame which used AWS S3
- AWS S3 is an excellent platform for the following
- Maintaining backup archives, log files and disaster recovery images
- Running analytics on big data at rest
- Hosting Static Websites
- Hosting Video and audio files for OTT Platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime when used with other service called as AWS Cloudfront.
- S3 provides effectively unlimited object storage
- In S3 when we store objects, they are stored with additional metadata upto 2KB which consists of
- data permissions
- appearance of a filesystem within nested buckets
- AWS S3 primary component is Bucket, The name of the bucket has to be unique across entire S3 System.
- Bucket can have
- Objects can be accessed over url
- Now lets try to create a bucket with the following structure
- Now apply this approach to create the folder structure
- Create the following folder structure for the s3 bucket (any name)
Block Storage vs Object Storage
- In Block-level storage, data on the raw physical is divided into individual blocks whose use is managed by file system. (NTFS in Windows, xfs, Btrfs or ext4 in Linux)
- An object storage provides a flat surface on which you can store your data.