- Is an Open source CI/CD Engine
- It is referred by many as scheduler on steriods
- Jenkins was designed for CI/CD
- Jenkins internally calls/executes commands.
- Generally when you install jenkins, a new user (jenkins) gets created. Whatever you do in jenkins will be run as jenkins user
- In Windows, Jenkins runs as installed user.
- Jenkins is a Web Application Developed using Java.
- Jenkins runs by default on port 8080
Important considerations for Working with Jenkins
- Ensure user all the necessary permissions
- Ensure all the Environmental Variables like PATH, PYTHON_HOME etc are defined correctly
- Before using any software (git, maven, docker, ansible etc) ensure they are installed and configured correctly
- Install Java
- Install Jenkins