Relational Database Services
- Read Replication
- Multi-AZ Deployment
- Automatic Minor Version Upgrades
- Database shutdown
DB Subnet Groups:
- Whenever RDS is created it needs atleast two subnet-ids
- DB Subnets help in selecting network and subnets (regions and AZs)
- Give a longterm commitment to Amazon for 1 or 3 years for RDS usage can save costs upto 58%
- Promotion is giving write permissions to read replica.
- Database is created in multiple AZs
- Due to this failover is automatic
- Costs will be on the higher side.
Automatic Minor Version Upgrades
- User can enable this feature which upgrades minor releases but you have to suggest the time period when your database is used less (maintenance Window).
- Database can be stopped or rebooted.
- Database can be shutdown only for 1 day continuously.
- Backup of Database is called as snapshots
- Snapshots can be created manually or you can schedule them.
- Create an RDS mysql instance with t2.micro (free tier)
- Ensure you select last 2 days bakcup.
- Create a Read Replica in other Region
- Promote Read Replica.
- Delete all the RDS instances and Snapshots