Scaling on AWS RDS
AWS supports multiple instance types for RDS instances Refer Here
Changing the instance Type:
- This is simplest way to scale up or down by changing instance type
- When we change the instance type the database will be down for certain period.
- A Read replica is read-only copy of your master database that is kept in sync
- We can have upto 15 read replicas in RDS
- Read replica helps in offloading the read-only queries to it.
- If we have users from different locations, we can create read-replicas in a different region and server read-only traffic via read-replica
- The read-replica can be promoted to master database when the master is down
Lets create a Database with 7 days of backup enabled.
Now lets create a read replica
Multi-AZ RDS instance
- Create a MySQL RDS instance with Multi-AZ
- Write an AWS CLI to
- create a Single-AZ RDS mysql instance.
- create a multi-az rds instance
- Create a read replica