Network File Storage in AWS
- We use network storage to mount the data simulatanously on multiple vm’s or physical machines in the enterprise.
- How to configure the same on AWS.
- AWS has following restrictions on storage
- The storage is scoped at Availability Zone
- Multiple ec2 instances can be in different AZs
- So we need a network storage service(file share) which supports the same data in multiple AZs.
- Amazon gives network storage in two flavors
- Elastic File Systems (EFS)
- EFS provides scalable file storage for Linux instances
- FSx provides scalable file storage for Windows instances
- While creating EFS you need to select
- the Network (VPC)
- the AZs (subnets)
- Security Groups (Firewall)
- Now create two ec2 linux instances.
- Now lets create a security group to allow all port communications with in the vpc
- Now navigate to EFS & Create a filesystem
- use the Attach button to fetch the mount commands
- For more info Refer Here
- now login into ec2 instance and create a directory called as efs
sudo yum install nfs-utils -y sudo mkdir -p /mnt/ebs
- Copy the nfs utils command and change ebs at the last to /mnt/ebs
sudo mount -t nfs4 -o nfsvers=4.1,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,hard,timeo=600,retrans=2,noresvport fs-32fc65e3.efs.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com:/ /mnt/ebs
- If you need to persist this mount over restarts add the below line to /etc/fstab
fs-32fc65e3.efs.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com:/ /mnt/efs nfsvers=4.1,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,hard,timeo=600,retrans=2,noresvport 0 0
Backups of the EFS can be created as a plan using AWS Backup
EFS access points are application specific entry points into EFS filesystem for managing application access to shared data sets
FSx Gives the exact options for creating an SMB File share for Windows instances.
If you want third party storage solutions like netapp, emc can be created from AWS Market place.
- Scenario-1: Assume your organization is already having lot of storage in local nas/san kind of system, so how can we migrate this data to AWS cloud.
- Scenario-2: Assume your organization wants to sync the data (network file share) to AWS.