- Create an ubuntu 18.04 vm on any virtual environment
- Create an Centos 7 vm on any virtual environment
- For more info refer video content here
- Any software(Application) in linux is some files or folders or both copied to linux machine.
- Just like .exe file in windows, we have executable permissions in linux
- Lets try to evaluate ping
ls -la /usr/bin | less
Environmental Variable PATH
- PATH will contain directories where linux will search for executables.
- If your executable/application folder is not added to PATH then to run your application you need give full path.
Installing Softwares on Linux
- Many ways of installing softwares. Popular ones are
- Get the Code of the software and build the code locally in linux machines
- Use Debian/RPM packages to install softwares
- Use YUM/APT/Snap to install softwares.
Downloading software executable directly
# note : Ensure unzip is installed (sudo apt-get install unzip -y)
ls -al .
- two ways of running executables
- Copy application to existing folders in PATH
- Create a new folder copy executable into it and add new folder to PATH variable
# 1st approach of copying to existing folders in PATH
cp /home/ubuntu/terraform /usr/bin/
# 2nd approach
cp /home/ubuntu/terraform /home/ubuntu/mybin/
Building Code into package(application)
- To build the code there is a popular tool called as make
- Lets understand the make by installing nagios. Refer Here
using Debian or rpm packages
- Download the debian package and to install execute
sudo dpkg -i <package path>
- Refer Elastic Beats installation From Here
- Download the rpm package and to install execute
sudo rpm -ivh <package path>